My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Saturday, November 18, 2006

working out the brain bubble, working out the knot


Yep, it’s writer’s block. There are thoughts in the head, but when I type them out I get disinterested mid-sentence. I’m trying to write the hero piece for Sunday Scribbles. Nothing. No, excuse me. There is much of something, but its not coming out.

For me, writer’s block is like a cricket chirping in the head. No, not literally. And its not a group of crickets either blending into one another. It’s a single cricket, stuck under the floor boards making all concentration impossible. I’ve had this before, and when over, I’ll have it again.

I am writing. Nothing suitable for this page though. Its pieces and parcels. The writer in me who likes to practice on this page is frustrated. If you’re a writer, you know there is always something brewing inside that begs to come out. Even if its whispers and hints of something, there is always the potential for words that want to be freed. When the connection is blocked or disconnected, even for a minute, it can feel like eternity. I’m not saying I’m all that as a writer, and believe you/me I’m sure there are critics waiting in the wings to confirm my lack there of, but good or bad I AM A WRITER. Without words, I feel a little lost. No, not literally. I can still find my way home in the late evening, thank you. More like a little piece of this self is missing and the Amber Alert isn’t coming on quick enough.

True to form, I thought I’d share the process. I was kinda hoping that writing this piece would spur something else, but now I’m just interested in searching utube for cricket videos.

And even in all this frustration, this piece gave me a smile.

~GoGo

P.S. The snow did not stick. It was greener then the last day of summer the next day! My new rule, no posting about snow until I see a blanket of it outside my window.

12 Comments:

Blogger GoGo said...

The link to writers block pops up the definition of writer only.

I think this is ironically true. What a nice gift given in the form of techno errors.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

3:35 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Jimeny Crickets! If I had a dollar for every time I had writer's block, I'd be on my way to riches. Have a good Thanksgiving.

8:34 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger mareymercy said...

Everyone has to stop and fill up the well every once and awhile. I'm on major hiatus with writing, too - but I'm doing other things that are creative that will have to sustain me (planning lessons and dealing with teenagers on a daily basis is, trust me, a VERY creative endeavor!)

You're still being creative, I'm sure, just in a different way for now.

8:37 AM, November 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gogo,
I appreciate your posting of your writer's block, something we bloggers all identify with, I'm sure. To paraphrase a quote I read somewhere awhile back, you're gaining life experience in someway, that will lend itself to your writing at a later date. Thanks for your comment on my post.

10:14 AM, November 18, 2006  
Blogger BendingPeak said...

I am right here with you! And I hope that the words flow for you soon. Hope you have a good rest of you weekend and are able to get some rest.

10:59 AM, November 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gogo, I love this post. You so well capture that feeling of needing words to live but not always being able to open the tap. The piece may not have spurred something else, but it IS writing, and it works. Gave me a smile too.

1:58 PM, November 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi gogo, thanks for visiting. i've been having a bit of writer's block myself...hence my sparse posts recently. it can't go on forever, can it?! :)

1:57 AM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks for the supportive comments.
As Twitches noted, I seem to be filling up the well at the moment.

I am doing other creative things, like redecorating my home. ...besides the school thing...being a student is a creative endeavor too.

Anywho, it was nice to feel such connection out there, even if it is regarding writer's block.

4:04 AM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Dear GoGo, even when you have writer's block, you write beautifully. In fact, I wish I could write as well as you. :)

9:58 PM, November 19, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

At least you're writing something - and sometimes that's what writer's block needs - just to write through it. You are a writer, so you'll come up with something soon. I have faith in your abilities. And I like the idea of looking for cricket videos (old Jiminy Cricket was a childhood favourite).

5:04 PM, November 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by my page. I have to say your writing is brilliant. The linke to Half Baked Truths and Parliments is amazing! I will be certain to keep checking back.

1:33 PM, November 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like snow in piles and piles. Little House on the Prairie puts green snow as "sugar snow," and then Laura is disappointed when she discovers it isn't sweet at all, then looks around to make sure noone saw her tasting it. ^_^

i actually love writer's block, because it means i will sooon burst out with something brilliant. the thoughts and ideas are simply turning over in my mind, like compost that will feed beautiful green plants..

3:56 PM, November 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home