My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Sunday Scribblings: "There's a reststop up ahead."

Sunday Scribbles Prompt: "I don't want to be a passenger in my own life." (Diane Ackerman)

This quote reminded me of a journal entry I wrote a few years back while traveling somewhere with a friend. A random piece reflecting the moment written, at the moment read became something more. I think its appropriate for today's prompt. Ackerman's quote sounds nice. I do not want to be a passive rider in my life, watching my life move then moving it. I want to be at the helm, the driver's seat, in charge! Everything I do, I've done. Still, I know it's more then this self. I am in control, yet I have no control at all. For me, its better to be all parts of life - the driver, passenger, navigator, restroom spotter, back seat sleeper. Um, to be honest, I am trying to learn this still. Anyway, the quote reminded me of this entry I happened to come across a few weeks ago while dusting the shelf where this particular journal lives. ~GoGo

Yielding to a change of pace, I step out of the driver seat. It’s time to let [someone else] drive for a while. It’s been a long road tonight. Getting from one place to another, time seemed an extra long stretch as the car drove through the expanse. The weather laughed and cried, like a labile child learning her own spectrum of emotions in the course of the day. As a driver, concentration is on the road, speed, other cars, twists and turns, and all the decisions that are made as fast as thoughts in the head. I love this role. It is a good role when one is confident in the attempt. When one knows how to be the driver, one never has to worry about waiting for someone else to drive. But to only drive...how can I watch that patch of wildflowers coming up on the side, and how about the power lines begging for someone to read each measure for their music? How can I catch those deer always spotted on the periphery of the drive?

After hours of driving this time, I am glad to step out of the driver's seat and trust my fellow traveler to take a turn. Letting these eyes mold to the scenery passing by, I am glad to be a passenger for a while.

~Journal Entry May, 2005~

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this.

10:06 PM, November 12, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Beautiful, wise piece, Amanda. Well done!

3:41 PM, November 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that your name?! I was JUST thinking TODAY how I wondered what your real name was..... though of course I'll always think of you as GoGo.

11:28 PM, November 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the super read...amanda!
going through our old journals can reveal so much about our life journey...your entry is very insightful.

9:48 AM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

It's kind of weird, but I feel outed. ;). There are previous comments that named me, so I guess I will confirm it. Yes, my name is Amanda...
but you can call me Miss GoGo, if you're nasty. ~smiles~

tehe.

8:22 PM, November 14, 2006  
Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Ah, Amanda! :) Beautiful name, and yet another beautiful journal entry. I love your writing, Miss Amanda GoGo! :)

9:29 PM, November 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home