My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

votin' times a-comin'


Joining their hands together, they promised with Divine assistance to be a loving faithful partner to one another. They vowed to honor and respect one another, support one another in their personal growth, and be attentive and present their relationship.

Sounds good doesn’t it? It’s a paraphrased quote from two friends of mine’s marriage ceremony. Though they are not by law married in this State, and a new law is quickly taking away their health insurance rights, I and many others witnessed and committed to support their marriage. I think about how messed up this country is that commitment in love scares so many folks out there. First of all, the idea that the government can say who can or cannot get married blows my mind. It’s a game of rock, paper, scissors except its parchment, parchment, and parchment. Which is more true, the document we all signed or the one the State voted on? Of course, the answer lies in which one carries the harmful power, right. I say power because that piece of paper committing to marriage between two beautiful women has power, no matter what the masses may think. I say harmful because the greater law of society that deems worth also authorizes the devaluing of those not in the approved circle. What is being taken away is the right to see one's partner dieing sick in a hospital bed if they "family" doesn't recognize the marriage. What is being taken away if the right to keep the finances, home, and life that two built when one dies. What is being taken is the tax breaks, social recognition, and the visibility in the family value fight. But it never stops there. Remember, slavery? Remember the holocaust? Remember, the displacement of Native Americans from this land?

I wonder if people think they are safer, if another group of folks is outside their circle of rights. Wars still happen, sickness, famine, natural disasters, your neighbor will probably still piss you off when the music’s played way too loud. Family values will continue to depreciate.

Votin’ times a-coming. I keep getting documents from the Republican party who wants me to know they believe in family values. So, do I. I think our definition are different and I am having a hard time wanting to vote for someone who lets me know there top concerns are family values, the war of terror, and taxes. Doesn’t sound like a leader, but that crazy sales rep uncle at a party who’s going to bombarded folks with bad jokes. Stop feeding us hot topic fights that are meant to spur division, so the powerful can stay that way. Many democrats aren’t much better these days either.

I was looking at that parchment paper today while watching my friends’ daughter. They are married and they now have a child together. I wondered what the election will do to this country. I wonder how long my leaders will escalate hatred, bigotry, and socioeconomic difference. Last election, marriage was defined in this State as only something between a man and a woman. This election, we are voting on Affirmative Action. We are deciding if Affirmative Action should be struck off the books. Of course, most people don’t know this because the folks trying to get it passed are hiding it behind a Civil Rights Act, saying it’s not fair to white folk. Being white and a woman, I ironically benefit most from Affirmative Action, but besides that…its bull shit. Sorry, that’s my political opinion on the matter.

What was the point of this entry? This is why I don’t write about politics…I read much but still feel like I have a rudimentary understanding of it all. I was looking at this parchment. Looking at the child I sometimes kid-sit, knowing the two people who committed themselves to marriage…regardless of what the State thinks…and I felt proud we all were actively a part of civil disobedience. I also felt scared because I believe that where there are laws, there is enforcement and I wonder how long before that game of parchment, parchment, parchment gets enforced.

*The photo is of three politicians in this City and State who I invited to speak to the coffee group I facilitated last year. The places they sat were dubbed "the hot seats" by the group.

2 Comments:

Blogger The dykes next door said...

I am what we call down south, a "yellow dog democrat", which means that I cannot possibly, under any circumstance, for fear of some terrible thing happening to me, pull that little lever next to a republican's name. Our party isn't much better than the republicans at times, but with the democrats, at least there is a little tiny glimmer of hope that they will do the right thing. With republicans, you KNOW that they aren't ever going to help others. That's just the way it is. I really don't expect to be able to legally marry my beautiful wife in my lifetime. Not unless we move to another state. And we have taken costly legal matters into our own hands to get the protections that heterosexual couples get just by saying "I do". You know, durable power of attorney, health matters, etc. Which is aggrivating, but necessary. But it would be nice to not have to worry about all of that, wouldn't it? But for now, I'll take what I can get, and hope that one day people will come to their senses and let people love who they want without fear of reprisal of one kind or another.

7:05 PM, October 31, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Very good points! I wrote a poem about the election too. (I voted via absentee ballot from Seville).

11:25 AM, November 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home