My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Sunday Scribblings: The Road To Goodbye

So, I was sitting at the computer, trying to find something creative to say about goodbyes. I’ll be doing enough of that soon, none-the-less, I was committed to the endeavor to create for Sunday Scribblings…even if goodbye seemed like a subject I did not want to write about, not quite yet anyway.

At first I thought, why not write a story. A story that had nothing to do with me and everything to do with some one other then me.

The cursor blinked.

Then I thought perhaps a goodbye poem, rich in imagery and a pint of pity for some one who was saying goodbye.

I came up with this:
Going down sidewalks
Our voices huddled like
Our bodies,
Determined to let go, in
Breathless anticipation for
You and I
Ever ready to be no more.

Please note its spells goodbye…its one of those…um…acronyms?

The poem sucked so, I went in search of whether what I did was an acronym or something else and discovered the word RETROnym. Um, excuse me, but bling of a bell is so retronym. (I can’t get Astro’s voice from the Jetson out of my head when I read this word).


rretroonym...rrretrroonym.

Then I decided to look up quotes to inspire a more sophisticated prose on the subject of goodbye, and found these quotes:
"May the road rise up to meet you, may the wind be ever at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face and the rain fall softly on your fields. And until we meet again, May [Mother Earth] hold you in the hollow of [her] hand."

An Irish Proverb that just sounds nice!

I also l came across this handy little quote, “May you never forget what is worth remembering, nor ever remember what is best forgotten.”

Yeah, sounds about right.

But in the end, I was no closer to an entry about goodbye. I did find this quote by Henry David Thoreau: "Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes".

Ahhhh.

I’m writing that one down to keep handy when I leave this town. And yet still, no inspired goodbye story to be had. In the end though, I just gave up my futile attempt and typed this entry instead.

Goodbye. :)

~gg

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger gautami tripathy said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

6:12 AM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I learnt something new...retronym!

:D


gautami
Finally....

6:15 AM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Waspgoddess said...

Thank you for giving me retronym :) Liked your post, its meandering journey, eventually reaching the quote by Henry David Thoreau.

Thanks for your comment.

7:12 AM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the acrostic wasn't that bad!

9:37 AM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger Kamsin said...

I love this post. I guess you just don't really want to talk about goodbyes right now! But this makes for an original and entertaining post.

9:59 AM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your first piece here, so befitting for me as I just lost my husband of 40 years. Thank you for sharing all your wonderful thoughts.

sage

2:02 PM, February 04, 2007  
Blogger paris parfait said...

GoGo, you'll be saying plenty of goodbyes and hellos soon enough. I love the Thoreau quote - so true. And thanks for the references to Astro - I still heart the Jetsons! :)

5:05 PM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acrostic! Thank you scribbles!!

I couldn't remember the word to save my life, I feel so much better now.

~gg

7:01 PM, February 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello dear, I'm finally catching up on blogs and I did my "5 reasons to smile".... so thanks for tagging me! I enjoyed reading yours. And I really liked your goodbye post... it was like a conglomeration of many things.

9:40 AM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger twilightspider said...

The end result isn't always what's important - sometimes the journey is where the richness lies. Whether or not you're satisfied with what you came up with, I learned a ton! The quotes, especially, will come in handy as I too am soon to be saying some goodbyes...

5:59 PM, February 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home