My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

No Road Trip: Instead I Hung Out With Viral Gastroenteritis - Go Me!

I woke up this morning feeling like a crinkle, like one of those crinkly fries in fact. I didn’t go on my road trip. Rather, I went home packed my things while my body began to feel intensely nauseous. Little ole me, went through the days meals and realized I only had a salad – a very good salad mmm, mmm – a hand full of almonds, and a few carrots. Its not because of diet or weight watch, it was just because that is what I felt like eating. I thought my nausea was from the lack of eating, so I ate more. Hmm. Hind sight can be a dastard little mind's eye view. I ate cottage cheese and yogurt. Also, very good. I thought I needed some protein and carbs, and then proceeded to eat a handful of grapes. Then my belly started to feel tight and squawked at me. My face began to feel puffy and my head got this concentrated headache right in the dot of my forehead. I knew this feeling before. It was the inevitable signs of “going to be sick.” Not a good sign an hour before heading to Detroit to pick up my friend.

I could tell you the whole ghastly story; write a huge DISCLAIMER HERE about how one should read with caution as I describe the intense feelings of the stomach involuntarily retching up everything one has ingested. I could write about how the smell only makes one puke more and when done, there is only a momentary reprieve from the pain as the intestines recoil and tighten, preparing for the next cycle. Ah, there is nothing like the stomach flu to put the body prostrate in a humbled bent position as the self prays, “please let this be the last time”, only to do it over and over again in multiple waves of projectile pain. But who wants to hear the details, aye.

I called my friend two hours after the incursion to tell her I would come up in the morning, in complete denial that this wasn’t some gastric infraction from not eating enough during the day. Then the night in hell proceeded. But don’t worry; I’m not taking this page down there. Not going to mention anymore about just how much fluid the body can hold and excrete in a matter of hours…long excruciating hours. Oh, and I’m sure we have all had experience with the dry heaves that no description is necessary. I was very grateful to have a friend come over and bring me 7up and I even got my Dad to come up and help out for the rest of the night and most the next day.

This was a pretty bad experience for me if I am calling my dad. Let's just say there are things I have learned in life. When one lives by herself, it is best to not think about monsters, ghosts or murderers in the middle of the night. Just best not to go there. When in the middle of tossing one's lunch via many exits at once while the head pounds and blood gets pressed against the eyes like one’s own tripp theatre show, its best not to have thoughts like “What if I am a toss away from a brain aneurism?”

Yeah, I’m being dramatic. But it was pretty bad. I am grateful for my Dad taking time to come and help me. It was a really bad last few days and my temp ran high and I couldn’t get out of bed. I lost a lot of weight in the last few days too. I’m surprised. Today is the first day without a fever as far as I can tell. I’m still feeling pretty low energy and thoughts of road trip madness seems miles away. I’m sad to say that I am still tied too closely to my bathroom at the moment. It looks like its bed and bad TV for me today. I might do Sudoku too. I'm not one for laying around all day, even if its best. My only goal today is to check my email, which I have done and buy my books for class tomorrow. Ah class.

Signing out.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Annie Z said...

How nasty. So sorry to hear that particular bug struck you down. HOPE it passes quickly.
JTL
XXX

4:29 PM, January 07, 2007  
Blogger BendingPeak said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a shitty weekend. I know that were you excited for your road trip prior to school starting again.
I hope you have a restful evenging,
Heather

6:38 PM, January 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, awful! I am sorry you were so horribly sick. Hopefully you can enjoy your road trip soon. Sending hugs.

12:35 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger daringtowrite said...

Well, that was a lousy surprise, wasn't it? Glad to hear you are feeling a little better and hope you'll back to full health soon.

Thanks for sharing some of the details. I appreciate such graphic honesty in place of vague references.

12:54 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Jim C. Hines said...

What a lousy way to spend the weekend. I'm sorry you've been having such a rough few days... it's never fun. I hope you continue to improve, and fast!

10:28 AM, January 08, 2007  
Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Oh my dear GoGo!! I'm so sorry you had to go through all that! There is some weird stomach flu bug that has been making the rounds lately. I don't know if I blogged this, but I was really sick Saturday before Christmas....stomach flu, food poisoning, who knows? Anyway, I totally know what you went through.

Hope you'll be well enough to go back to class tomorrow. Otherwise, stay in bed!! It's only the first day! :)

Sending you good thoughts and hope your tummy is better. Hey, at least you lost some weight! I lost 6 lbs that day....but alas, put it all back!! LOL!

Hugs chicklett!

7:21 PM, January 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home