My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

The Diurnal Habits of a GoGo


Hey something happen to my previous post. Its gone...like deleted gone. I think I may have done it yesterday while playing with this new Beta thing. I was torn about sharing, guess Beta worked that issue out for me. Here's today's post below. I'll have to think about reposting the earlier Sunday Scribble. ~gg


My shift ended with me being extremely tired. It was the kind of tired that braise the cheeks and the worn eyes with milky layers of heavy. I had gone home to get in a quick shower before heading out for a Quaker meeting I’ve been attending the last few months. I was hoping the warm water and steam might refresh me, helping me feel at least a washed worn if not alert. I realized I had my eyes closed during the entire showering experience, only aware of it when my hand missed the curtain from lack of guided support.

It was bed for me and no meeting. I was okay with that. Tired can convince me the bed is the perfect place to commune with the spirit any day. I slept for a good portion of eight hours, waking up when my brain, not accustomed to the reprieves of winter break yet, alerted me there must be something I needed to do today. Groggy I went through the old list of tasks – a paper, readings, presentations – what was it that I needed to be awake for? By the time I awoke to the idea that in fact I had not a single obligation today, I was wide awake and ready to do something anyway.

What was that something? A decent cup of coffee and laundry I supposed. Going to the kitchen with my usual routine of butt scratch and body stretch I opened the cupboard to an empty bag of Joe. Unfortunately, I had no one to point to when it came to the reaction, who would put an empty bag of coffee back in the cupboard? It was me, and being me, I gave myself a lecture. “You know, when a person wakes up and her eyes open with the delight of a bag of coffee only to find its lighter then her wallet…well lets just say it’s a sad disappointment.”

Bummed, I made a cup of tea. Now, I love tea. Tea is my afternoon delight. Tea is my palette’s evening ritual of love. Tea is not, however, dawn’s favorite counterpart. No matter how thick you cut the tea leaves, it cannot compare to the thick richness of the morning brewed java…which for me was at 4:30 pm when I woke up.

So, I decided to head out into the world to get more coffee beans and milk. I apparently needed milk too. Who doesn’t know how this kind of story goes? You go to the local mart to pick up a few conveniences, which in this case is the Health Food Store a few miles away because I like organic, and you wind up out for hours. 2 ½ hours to be exact. By the time I got home I was pooped again. I decided to drop the laundry idea and sip my cup of Joe, now 7pm, in front of a movie while my butt morphed into the sofa seat.

A movie, and a TV show where that carpenter guy totally changes people’s lives by building them a new home in a few days later, and I am now on the page. I tried to think of some interesting tidbit of my day to share, some insight, or some kernel of knowledge to share. They say a writer starts with what she knows first to make a story. Yeah, this is what I got today.

Now, the time has come to drink another cup of coffee before I head out to work again. I picked up a few extra shifts during the break to bring in some more money. Yeah, my life is exciting. Someone get me a camera and a reporter.

Smiles ~GoGo

7 Comments:

Blogger Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog, and moreso thank you for leading me back here to visit you!
I use typepad, but I have been hearing stories of Beta on Blogger. I hope you recover your blog information.

Good Luck and thanks!

1:37 AM, December 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smiled through this whole post. You make an ordinary day sound so entertaining. Good writing, gg. I hope you will post the Sunday Scribbling.... I love reading those.
~RTH

8:45 AM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

You write beautifully about an ordinary day, Amanda.

4:05 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks for the wonderful words. To me, life is always interesting.

7:03 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger Rose of Sharon said...

Hmm, I wrote you a comment this morning, but it never posted!

I echo all the sentiments that you write so beautifully everytime and take me right there with you. And, someday when you run out of joe again, you can turn to her and say, "did you make that last pot of coffee?" :)

9:09 PM, December 11, 2006  
Blogger Writer Bug said...

I also smiled throughout this. It was so funny, esp the part about giving yourself a lecture. I'd love to hear about a Quaker meeting sometime...

5:43 PM, December 13, 2006  
Blogger Annie Z said...

Really enjoyed reading about your day! And a good giggle at your last two sentences. :):)
JTL
xxx

11:24 PM, December 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home