My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Rogers & Me: Midwest Meets New York

Lifted my head from the books, looked around and saw that I am knee deep in Freud, Erickson, Skinner, and let’s not forget Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. Suddenly, I see the impetus for all this self-reflection hanging on the words etching my days. I am beginning to believe that I am projecting what I am learning in grad school onto my own life. Ya think! Um, I think I can live with the idea of using my education to do my own work before assisting others with theirs. Seems appropriate. Seems as it should be…

Of course, its time for a break – its time to take off these muddy slickers and feel a little lighter for a moment. I’m going to New York City later this week to see some old friends. Perfect timing! I’m going to unplug, unwind, and most certainly have a good time.

I feel all over the map of my life – trying to change old spots, learn for the sake of education, while trying to put fun into the pocket of free time I make for myself. Disengaging from old habits where I try to make this self I want seen instead of just seeing what is there. Carl Rogers would be so proud of me…this grad student is self-actualizing…or at least actually ingesting what I’m reading.

Back to New York. Lady M and S, who need better nicknames, are two friends from undergrad. Two very distinct people I’ve picked up along the way and carry with me. I’ve never been to New York and I have the best tour guides for the trip. I’m trying not to plan too many things, preferring to honor the fact that I’m living on the fumes of life and I need to just be in the moment. I DO intend on seeing the Museum of Modern Art, see some local musicians, and take photos all around the city, but the other projects are left for the whim of the day and the whims of my host. I can’t wait to turn off my brain, turn off all this introspective tinkering and just live outside the self for minute.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alex S said...

I'm glad you are getting a break in NYC from your studies. I can remember when I was in grad school and was so inspired by some of what I read, and terrified at others, like the class on the DSM IV, where everyone found they fit at least one disorder! I hope you are having a wonderful time in NYC!

12:38 AM, March 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home