My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Is the Glass Half Full Or Half Empty?

I love little conversations on random thoughts that perpetuate a deeper discussion. The question asked was “Do you see your glass half empty or half full?” After thought, I realized it depends on the glass. Overall, I am a glass half full person. I see my glass of water and am grateful I still have some left. It just means I don’t have to get up and get some more, particularly when I am in the middle of a spicy meal. I also see my glass half empty, when it’s something rare, depleting, and will not be there forever – a glass of wine, a cup of coffee, or the final days of something ending. I am also a person who sees the glass as just a glass. It doesn’t matter if it’s half empty or half full, the goal is to drink it all and appreciate each sip. I neither stop at the half mark to stop the end from coming nor sip it at the beginning to avoid the middle of it all. In other words, my glass is a complicated experience that doesn’t stop in the middle.

My life has come to the middle in some sense. Well, the beginning of the middle. I found this question timely and appropriate for my days. I’m a thinker. I like discussions that swell with contemplations and insights. I like a person who says “I was thinking about God the other day and…” or a person who says “These are the things I want to do to help the environment, my community, my own life, to have fun more…” Okay, I also like discussion where the talk swells around why are streetlights the color they are and ends on a completely different topic about Starr Jones and Barbara Walters in a cat fight – who’d really win anyway. But I digress.

For me, it’s in the little questions on a random day that I get the sense that the universe is really asking me the question. I am at the beginning of my middle, whether my middle is decades long or one, here I am. Is my glass half empty or half full?

Of course, I am going to stop and present myself the best way I can. I am going to say half full and make sure I am doing what I am suppose to be doing to make it this way, and hope those who really know me see this or at very least aren’t looking. I am also a person who sees my life as though I am a journeymen (a.k.a. journey-woman), and I am applying my guild’d lessons to life. I have bought into the idea that life is about perspective and it’s up to me to stay open to the experience in it all. It’s up to me to attempt to be the best person I can – in thought, relationships, and experience. It is up to me to forgive myself if I can’t be perfect. I still have work to do, but I am doing my work. It is up to me to find where the glass is half full and simply let go of the rest.

I appreciated the question for the thought in it all. At this moment, I am drinking a glass of freshly squeezed lemonade and I have come to the middle. I have decided this experience calls for me to drink the rest a little slower, and make it a point to make more when I can.

Peace. GoGo

2 Comments:

Blogger Cate said...

I am drinking ice water from a wine glass and to me, it is definitely "half full." But if there were actually wine in it, the same amount would mean "half empty!"

I loved this post. You are a wonderful writer!

7:24 PM, July 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree u r. u know me and my glass.

11:48 AM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home