My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Thank you, M.

Apparently somewhere on the outskirts of Portland there is a tree. Yes, there are many trees in Portland I am sure. I’ve never been there, but that’s the impression I am getting from friends who live out there. This tree is different then the other trees around it. This tree has hundreds of pairs of shoes dangling from its branches just blowing in the wind. Why is this, you might ask, and why am I telling this page? Well, the answer to the first question is, I don’t know. Why shoes dangle from one particular tree in Portland was lost in the oration between a friend of mine and a friend of his, though he did offer that for those who do know about the tree they are usually inspired to leave some shoes dangling with the rest. As for the second question, I am telling this page because I absolutely love the idea…as long as it is not harmful to the tree.

I was sitting with a coworker of mine who is moving to San Fran discussing life like we usually do – with a dash of existential contemplation and a side of music conversation. You can probably see why he is moving to San Fran. Anyway, I appreciated the idea that somewhere in Portland there is a tree and on that tree are shoes dangling. No one knows why, but if you want to leave a pair you can.

I can just imagine a pair of mine one day clinking with my coworkers, long since removed from each others lives other then memories remembered. The chances of either of us seeing each other again are irrelevant to our experiences. But I do like to imagine pair of my shoes clinking against his shoes long after our days shared is over.

Good luck in San Fran, M, and Thanks for the song.

1 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

I like the idea of that tree in Oregon. A little poetic...and I'm sure your friend will love living in San Fran - except for the cost of the real estate, it's truly wonderful living there. I still miss it and I left seven years ago.

3:55 AM, June 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home