My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Hotel Room

I didn't think I was going to participate in the Sunday Scribble this week, but then this thought unfolded in my head and thought it went well with this weeks topic. This story is dedicated to T who always loved a good hotel story.

This is where we said goodbye
you and I.

Under the covers of the worn hotel sheets, our hands searching for something to hold onto before we left. Could we hold that last touch, would our hands remember how the curve of the face felt cusped in the palm, or would the nose remember the sweet sent of overheated bodies and cheap hotel shampoo lingering in the hair? Knowing these were our last hours together, we stared in each others eyes in silence, long since passing the early times of togetherness where words were needed to glue the time between us. You were the only one who could hold my gaze and read exactly what I thought in my eyes. Speaking by seeing was our secret language.

Under hotel sheets and bad lighting, we knew our time just had to go, while I let you go without me. We were so proud that we knew our worlds were too different to combine. We were so sure that in time, we would grow to not like each other, because we were really different people. I started watching Lost in Translation while you brushed your teeth and dressed, while you finished the movie when I brushed my teeth and dressed. We smiled because none of this time was lost to us, knowing completely the plot line in our lives, it was simply time to move on.

Your last words to me before we closed the door was, "We should keep the plastic keys in our wallets until we can’t remember why they are there anymore." I nodded, kissed you, and we said goodbye with our eyes, as we left the hotel room.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger tara dawn said...

A beautiful story...so fragile and endearing and gentle, filled with small moments of love, tinged with bittersweet goodbyes. You have done an excellent job with this piece...thank you for sharing it.
xoxo,
TD

9:34 AM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Oh, sweetie what a lovely, bittersweet story! Thanks for sharing.

11:49 AM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks Ladies. Just so the reader knows...this is just a story...though inspired by T...not actual in detail.

12:36 PM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Cate said...

Oh, I'm bawling.

Those details (like "cheap hotel shampoo lingering in the hair"), the passion (like "how the curve of the face felt cusped in the palm"), and that ending ("We should keep the plastic keys in our wallets until we can’t remember why they are there anymore.")! WOW!

This is an incredible piece of writing! I'm so thrilled that this unfolded in your head (which is a lovely way of phrasing it, by the way!), and that we were lucky enough to have the privilege of reading it! xo

7:02 PM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger January said...

What an amazing story. I love the line, "We should keep the plastic keys in our wallets until we can’t remember why they are there anymore." So sweet.

Thanks for visiting my blog. I can't wait to read your posts.

9:48 PM, July 09, 2006  
Blogger Annie Z said...

Wow, this was so beautiful.
A gorgeous piece.

JTL
xxx

4:05 AM, July 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you had me from the 1st sentence...couldn't take my eyes off your words...the 'plastic key in the wallet'...wow-powerful stuff...

1:49 PM, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha, ha. i love it. a beautiful gift you gave me. thank yu

11:30 AM, July 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home