My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Saturday, May 20, 2006

On Top of The Pillar, I Will Come Full Circle

"Be bold and mighty forces come to your aid. Until one is committed, there is hesitancy; the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness.
"Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elemental truth, the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans; that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issue from the decision, raising in one's favour all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would come his way."
- E. H. Murray ~Scottish explorer~ Himalayan expedition~


So, its time to start writing about a plan of mine. A commitment in words, I guess I would say. This quote came to me from Paris Parfait as we exchanged words about moving to another country. These words were given to me as encouragement to take the leap. Though this is scary for me, so much so even writing about it on this little blog brings trepidation and doubt as to whether or not I can commit, but here I go with the words – it is my intention to find a job and move to London for a year when I graduate from school. Yep. To make it happen, I need to start now, delving into the logistical planning of the deed. I’ve already started to talk to a friend who is moving over at the end of summer about her experiences in the job search. I’ve even made a commitment to start the Pass Port process in June. I am absolutely scared. There are too many reasons to label them here, but trust me, my little heart beats quick with the thought of attempting this – for now.

I’m traveling this week to DC and Rochester, NY to sell merchandise for an old job of mine - the music company. Its pretty much a comped tripped with a rental car to enjoy the open road. I agreed to sell at these shows, so I could experience being in Cities by myself for a moment. How does it feel to be in an unknown place? Okay, I’ve been to DC a number of times, but not to Rochester. I also enjoy road trips. There is something about the world around me moving past that helps me to feel still with my thoughts. I need this right now, to be able to sit with my thoughts about actually moving to another country. ( Yes, I'm still going with the busted up shoulder).

The interesting part of my little story so far, as I continue to commit to this idea is tonight I went over to a friends house to pick up a Road Trip compilation. Its been our tradition that when I travel, she makes me a CD for the road. While I was at her house, we talked about her moving to Detroit which spurred me to talk about moving to London. She then pops out photos of her study abroad days there. It helped to bring the picture further into view for myself, and I got to hear great stories about her experiences. There was this one photo where she was standing on a specific pillar on top of a mountain outside of Edenborough (SP?), Scotland. I told her when I move, I would go there and take a photo of myself on the same pillar to send to her. She loved the idea and so did I. I guess, Paris Parfait is right, once you commit to something, things just start to happen that let you know its right.

And still at the end of these words, my heart races.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger paris parfait said...

Hooray! Good for you, Amanda! I'm so pleased you're taking this leap of faith. Change is always scary, but ultimately rewarding. I know you won't be disappointed: you'll have some wonderful adventures, see beautiful places and make many new friends. I'm looking forward to reading more about your quest.

3:48 AM, May 20, 2006  
Blogger snowsparkle said...

ah...the racing heart! it's a good sign. and you have definitely got the right foundation laid for this endeavor.

when i was 20, i spent 2 1/2 months in europe and that adventure made me feel more at home in the world and more able to reach for things i'd otherwise not dare to.

so go out and grab it! Who-rah!

xxoo- snowsparkle

9:51 AM, May 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home