My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Closing Doors to Open New Ones


I bought a bike today. It’s beautiful. Black, Specialized Sirrus – hybrid. I pick it up in ten days after they build it. I’m like a kid right now because ten days seems like forever! I wanted to get it today to start riding tomorrow. It was a great scene, me buying the bike. I decided to dress up today for my group I run on Wednesday mornings. I was throwing a party for an intern who helped the last half of the spring semester and another politician was coming to speak about her upcoming candidacy, so I felt like wearing a skirt. I love wearing skirts and dresses in the spring. Anyway, afterwards I had decided to commit to investing in a new bike. I had a meeting at my job in the afternoon, so if I was going to go bike shopping I had to go in the skirt. I’ve done this process before. I had bought a nice bike in the past that was stolen and knew where I wanted to buy the next one, what type of bike I wanted, and my price range. I did pay less then the retail list. I’m justifying the cost as a birthday gift to me, I am turning 30 in July, you know.

Anyway, there I was trying out sizes with my skirt on. Of course, someone I knew was there too. Ain’t it the way. I hope she appreciated a 5’11’’ dyke wearing a skirt jumping on and off bikes to find the right size. I know I did.

I bought a bike today! It’s my intention to ride the river trail everyday from my house to the Northside and back a few times. I use to do this before my last bike, a loaner turned into a long term ride, was busted in a car accident. Um, I’ve gotten into more bike accidents then car accidents. I believe the ratio is 4:0 actually. Yeah, scary stuff. It’s never been my fault and the drivers have always apologized. I had only one driver who hit me and ran. Oh, then there was the full frontal impact from another bike rider. I got stitches. I now have a dime sized scar below my knee and a permanently purple mark that looks like someone bit me below that. Again, I’m like kid proud of my scars. I should tell the story about this accident some time, it’s a good one.

I am not sure what to do with the ratio, but it hasn’t stopped me from riding. I wear a helmet and do watch what I am doing. I love riding a bike. Commuting with a bike helps me to slow down and be in my world. I get activity and feel good afterwards. It also gets me to the gym on a regular basis. I guess the more active I am, the more active I want to be.

Whatever. These words are just filler for “I bought a bike today!”

10 days and counting. :O).

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats! That's awesome!

2:51 AM, May 11, 2006  
Blogger sara said...

Congratulations on the purchase...that is a slick-looking machine.

Not to sound worrywarty and overprotective...but be careful! Wear a helmet!
Oh, and have fun, too.

:)

3:12 AM, May 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny...I saw that same bike parked out front of my corner coffee place yesterday morning. I was thinking, "Pretty!" It's great. Okay, you bike, run...add in the swim and you could do triathlon with me! Big FUN!

6:14 AM, May 11, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks for everyones words! Its nice to read your words Stonetree - I miss you, Seafearer, and Mr. Man.

Telfair, I promise to be careful!

The Chief - you know I'm showing it off the moment I get it.

Beansprout - I am no where near triathlon health, but love the idea that someday I might be.

9 days and counting

11:57 AM, May 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home