My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Sunday Scribble: A Little Diddy About Chocolate


Racing down the hallway of the Community Center, trying to set up for my home improvement workshop the next day, I ran into the kid. He was under 4 feet, cute and excited because the candy machine gave him not one but two packages of Peanut Butter Cups. The kid saw me and with sheer joy said, "Look I got two". Always on the side of the heart of children, I immediately responded "score!"

Mamma came out and said to the kid, "How did you get more than one candy? Last thing I need is for you to double your sugar high."

"But mamma", the little boy responded putting the candy behind his back as though he knew what was coming, "It came out that way."

"No, nuh huh!" Mamma said shaking her head while holding out her hand to the kid. It is the unspoken language that teaches us the most as kids. When Mamma puts out a hand, it’s the universal language for give it to me now ‘cause you ain’t getting it. Reluctantly, the little kid offered up one of his chocolate-y treasures appearing as though he was making a sacrifice to the Gods themselves, complete with the bottom lip out and a stomp of a foot.

Then Mamma turned to me, the bystander in the hall and said, "You want some chocolate?"

Score!

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Cookie said...

Aw gee did you give the kid back his chocolate? I would have...sad story :(

5:44 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! What a great ending to that story! I hope you enjoyed every single bite!

5:45 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Such a cute story-----from the enthusiasm of the child, to the predictable response of the mom, to the disappointment of the child, to your delight!

6:12 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Caroline said...

all I can say is "score"!

6:19 AM, April 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Score, indeed! This was great. Always wonder why parents worry that their kids will have "too much". Not just chocolate...thanks so much...

6:24 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

To be honest, I didn't take the chocolate, but I thought it was a good ending to the brief story.

6:44 AM, April 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute story! A neat unique take on the theme!

7:24 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

I'd be that mean mom :)

8:48 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Cute story. Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

11:37 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Brad said...

Very nice piece!

Lately I've scored some new chocolate habits. I put a bit of nutella on panini and schlosh down a local Pinot - Our Oregon Pinot is world class.

Another habit I've tried- with relative success - when offered a chocolate treat - I quickly evaluate the nature of the "grade of chocolate." Sounds snobish- but counting calories is so much easier when you can add in a dark imported rather than a Hersheys...

Thanks
brad

5:35 PM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger jojo said...

poor child. i would have let him keep it for later. it was a prize and a pleasant surprise. i can picture his face now. from celebration to dissappointment.

loved the little diddy... i am always such a sap for the wee ones. never been here before... so hello to you and Happy Sunday!

6:12 PM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

oh i love this story. score indeed! i hope you savored it all...

1:15 AM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger sara said...

That's a happy event on a par with finding a forgotten $5 bill in the pocket of an old pair of jeans.

2:31 AM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger HoBess said...

Nothing like a peanut butter cup to take stress away, if only for a few minutes. I hope you ate all around the edges, then devoured the middle! What a fun story.

10:15 PM, April 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home