My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

How Did Sylvia Plath Get Into the MSW Program?

Life is pulling me in the direction of projects coming due. Not that they aren’t always due - they’re always due. Its just I have three big projects to finish before the end, and its time to crunch them out.

It’s been a good semester. I find the people in the program wonderful. Finding myself a part of this circle of support, we all seem to be following up with one another about one project or another. There is this constant buzz of conversation before class and after. I’m always saying “hi” to someone here or there, going to and from class. I’ve talked to people about procrastination, isolation, meals on the run, for those in relationships the stress of it all, and those not in relationships the stress of it all :o). We've shared about stinky professors and great ones. We’ve even made time to go out and have a good time. Yep, it’s been fun getting to know the people in the program.

My projects coming due are a paper on crisis intervention, a presentation, and a final exam. Talking about the last one forward, the final exam is actually during finals week. This is abnormal in my program. The Professors are just as eager as the students to get the semester done, so they schedule exams the weeks before. I'm not complaining, I agree completely with the mentality of ending early. Alas, we have this one Professor, who is kicking our butts with reading, who is my favorite Prof, who just won’t due it the way everyone else does it. Its okay though, there is a group of us who are going have “a little” celebration after the exam. A small consolation, but it will do.

For the crisis intervention paper, I have decided to look at suicide. Thank goodness I’m the kind of person who sees the down times as up times that just need time to get there, because alot of people don't get the help they need when feeling suicidal. I came across an article regarding Sylvia Plath while doing research. The authors surmised that if she had the “appropriate” interventions and treatment during her life, she wouldn’t have killed herself. The authors blended her poetry with an analysis of suicide intervention. Who’da thunk that? The English Major in me played with the Social Worker in me. It was a good read.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I am a social worker too. I work in mental health. Did you know that?

I am curious about that article. I'd like to read it actually. Can you give me the title. It sounds very interesting.

3:40 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger tara dawn said...

Ooh, ooh...now you've got me excited. First off, a lot of my work has been crisis intervention with suicidal patients, so obviously I am enthusiastic about this topic. Then to add Sylvia (one of my ALL-TIME favorites) into this intriguing process...how incredible! Is there any way you can send me a link (or reference) for the article you mentioned? I would LOVE to read it.
Good luck with finishing your schoolwork...I'm right there with you girl! If you need to vent, I'm here:)
Love,
Tara Dawn

4:20 PM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger sara said...

I did one of my major university papers on Sylvia Plath and read all of the biographies about her until I began to feel quite unstable, myself.
But she's still a sentimental favorite and a reminder of my college days -- it was nice to see a picture of her in happy times on your blog.

4:34 PM, April 06, 2006  
Blogger Annie Z said...

I absolutely loved this sentence...

"Thank goodness I’m the kind of person who sees the down times as up times that just need time to get there"

Brought a smile to my face!
JTL
xxx

12:09 AM, April 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home