My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sunday Scribble: What would you attempt if you knew you would not fail?


Here is my first attempt for Sunday Scribble. I debated whether to write a prologue to this work and decided for the first attempt I would. The reason for this is mostly because I did not expect what I wrote when I started. When faced with the question, I seemed to be searching for a way to change the past, rather then what I would do in the future, partly because I am excited about going forward with the risk of failure still involved. I learned this from life lessons that have ushered me forward. I don't usually write poetry, since I can't keep to a rule to save my life. But when asked the question, the first three lines immediately came to me and I went from there. Pretty much this is me writing head to hand, and this is what unfolded. Very much fun and cathartic. With that said, excuse the roughness.
~GoGo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What would I do, if I knew I could not fail?
I would teach backwards,
all the lessons learned forward,
if I knew my attempt would not fail.
I'd comfort myself on the eve of trepidation
with truth that all will be okay.
I'd not hesitate to take back worry
and comfort gingered isolation,
if I already knew they would not stay.
But then why stop there?
~
I'd stop myself from trudging forward
when the battles were already lost.
I'd not go down corridors of the past,
full of mistakes and high stake costs -
if I knew my attempts would not fail.
I'd not tell her I liked her,
usurping the exchange of my ego,
knowing now that it's easier to keep silent lessons
then do away with the sideways stares.
But then why stop there?
~
I'd pass along the things that we-know-now
to everyone who did not know then,
teaching our foremothers the lessons they learned
only after taking steps they had to defend -
if I knew my attempts would not fail.
I'd stop all mother's from the deathly grasps of childbirth,
stop marriages that harbored pain and fear.
But then why stop there?
~
I'd stop slave ships and puritans and fur traders
and fear. I'd stop murders and wars and forced migration anywhere.
And I'd take away all the chance in the games we play -
if I knew my attempts would not fail.
I'd stop our foremother's mothers finding their way foreward
from original homeland of our birth, if I knew that it would
stop the lost hopes and failures harbored in our hearths.
But then why stop there?
~
I'd take away all choices that had risk,
all words that hurt, all freedoms that
chain us to our heartbreak and loss,
if I knew my attempt could not fail.
I'd wipe away all we did not know and replace
it with what we think-we-know,
But then, we'd stop there.
~

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow- that was so incredibly awesome.

I was totally moved by that.

I don't even know what to say.

2:00 AM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks. I never felt so nervous as this first attempt. I'm worried people won't see the irony and sarcasm, but that's the worrier in me.

2:48 AM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger sara said...

I think this is really great -- it has a musing, thoughtful, yet cheeky and sort of slyly humorous quality that made me read it, smile and say, "Huh!" and then go back and read it again. I enjoyed it very much and think that maybe you should write MORE poetry. And then share it.

6:29 AM, April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful! See...no need for worries...and I adore the line, "But why stop there." Keep writing...

7:40 AM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Jim Di Bartolo said...

Cool GoGo! GREAT first Sunday Scribbling! Way to face your fear and post it! :)

Jim

9:40 AM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Cate said...

Roughness, my ass! Your words are commanding and powerful! I love the repetitive use of "But then why stop there?" You have created an extraordinary and inspiring poem here! I'm so grateful to Meg and Laini for starting Sunday Scribblings! I'll be back!

10:08 AM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Laini Taylor said...

Wow, Gogo, this is terrific! I love the way it builds and burgeons, going from the personal to the global and historical, with that lilting refrain, "But why stop there?" And the whole time I had an uneasy sense - we can't stop people from risking, because then nothing would ever ever happen, which you answered nicely in the last line! Cool.

12:09 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger tara dawn said...

Gogo – I see no roughness in this…only truth and courage. This is amazing! I cannot even tell you how awestruck I am with this piece…I knew that you were an incredibly talented artist…now I am in awe of your poetry as well. And as for rules…I have no poetry rules…it’s the only way I can ever allow myself to write.
I am truly speechless! This is awesome!
Xoxo,
Tara Dawn

2:35 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger GoGo said...

Thanks for everyone's words. Wow! Wow! I can't form words in my mental mouth.

I wanted to pass along a BIG THANK YOU to Laini and Megg. What an awesome idea! Thank you.

4:43 PM, April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I am totally moved and floored by your ability to capture this one. It is amazing truly. I hope you don't mind but I am sharing a link at my blog. That poem is amazing and needs to be read.

6:11 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Jessie said...

I'd quote the parts I like best and explain why--but it would take me all night...I mean, "gingered solitude"--dang! :) Your lack of rules works well for you.

8:29 PM, April 02, 2006  
Blogger Caroline said...

Sounds like a big healing of the past. I too would heal what has gone before.

I love the way your words came out.

10:02 AM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger HoBess said...

Astounding. I love how you carried me from you, beyond shores, through time. Glad to have met you through Sunday Scribblings!

12:14 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger meghan said...

I definitely think that you should continue to write poetry! This was amazing. I am so glad you joined Sunday Scribblings - I can't wait to read more!

3:25 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger M said...

This is gorgeous! I had to copy it and add it my my new collection of favorite poems- giving you credit of course!! Keep on writing, wow!

4:58 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Jennifer S. said...

Hmmm... The end sounds a bit like Heaven to me.

1:24 AM, April 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home