My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Synaptic Junction, What's My Function?


Working the over night. Doing a double. Brain shut down.

One of those nights where I can feel the synaptic junctions begin to malfunction. I feel like that robot from Lost in Space when it gets shut off, my arms flailing and my voice slowly wearing down to nothing. Its time for coffee and some movement.

I still have 8 hours, which means I’m in trouble. Its too early for fantasies about the bed and too late to not think about anything else. Working a double means I got all my work done and now I have to make up more projects. Its time like these when silly little games get invented like masking tape Bball or making a q-tip village with q-tip people. I like q-tips.

Once upon a time, in undergrad I worked in a dish room of a cafeteria. We were one of the largest cafeterias in the world and washed way too many dishes. Anyway, this place was the ultimate place for making up games. For example, we would play chess with the various glasses in the washing container they went in or people would compete to see who had the fastest time putting the silverware in the containers they went into. It was some intense competitions and there was a score board that tallied the top 3 times like a video game. Everyone in the dish room had a nickname, so the newbies were always surprised to see names like DishDawg Doug on the wall. The best game ever invented was water curling. The floor was always covered with an inch of water so we would take broken dishes and push it across the floor while our team mate would use a broom to make it go faster or slower to hit the circle. We’d use masking tape to mark the boundaries too. It was fun.

The other game that I enjoyed was when we brought in a newbie to be trained. Someone would take the newbie on a tour and bring them to the location where workers were breaking down the dirty trays. The trainer would then randomly without notice toss a dish at someone’s head, and the person would duct moments before it hit them only to have the dish break against the wall. We would get a kick out of the stun look of the new person. Perhaps we were twisted in that dish room, but what fun!

Yeah, can you tell I’m bored?

5 Comments:

Blogger GoGo said...

Ha. I spelled duck wrong. The last entry I spelled hole wrong too. Don't worry, I see my mistakes too. I'm just glad my world doesn't end when I make them. I find it a little funny...as long as its not in a class paper anyway.

5:24 AM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger mareymercy said...

Funny stories. Who knew dishwashing could be so much fun?

I was fortunate enough to work with one jokester boss who loved pulling pranks on people. Once he and some associates snuck in at night and put the desk of this asshole VIP up on cinder blocks, because not only was the guy a jerk but he was also very very short. When they guy came in for work the next morning and sat down at his desk, only his forehead stuck out up top! Of course, my boss almost got fired over it, but still.

1:40 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger BendingPeak said...

I hope you made it through the last 8 hours. I JUST finished my summer class. I am ready for 2 weeks of resting, job searching, and blogging!

10:41 PM, August 20, 2006  
Blogger kunal kundu said...

Hi! just wanted to say that you can stop chewing now! ;p

12:00 PM, August 22, 2006  
Blogger paris parfait said...

That dish game sounds like fun! But I pity the "newbies."

3:17 PM, August 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home