My Photo
Name:
Location: Midwest, United States

"Power lines, my travlin' partner on this ride. Dripping, pulling - up and down, in this sing song, their lullaby blends with the swaying train. I curl myself into this journey; folding myself up into this pocket of time. Old familiars greet me - that swing set in the back yard, the ruins of an old church covered in new birth and old - mixed with unremembered newness." Journal Entry, October 13, 2005~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~All words are copyrighted by GoGo on a Page/gogoroku.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

If I were a tree...

If I were a tree I would have 29 rings inside of me. If I were a tree, I would be changing colors right about now....of course if I were a tree, I would probably have been cut down at ring 25 to make something for someone who really didn't need it.

I am tired. Rita has come inland by now, and so many people are being devistated. As I write this Coca Cola will continue to drain the Gangas in order for us to drink our beverages, and another Factory somewhere else will employ people for too little, put them in danger, then lay them off without warning or compensation.

Now, here's the thing, I am very lucky in my life. I have good friends, a good home, getting another degree, and I am still here. Even in my darkest hours in life when depression ate away at me and I simply was waiting to die...since I assumed that was what was going to happen...I knew enough to at least wait. Wait for the crisis to change. Wait for things to grow inside me again. I also had the opportunity to choose me over harmful things in my life, all from the simple instinct...life will go on if you let it. The fruit of this, I am present, alive, and happy.

But sometimes, I get tired of waiting for Coca Cola to do the right thing, for we as a human race to stop destroying our environments, for Corporations to loose the power they take from us. I mean I do my part to advocate and donate for a better world, but its just not enough anymore. Is it working at all? My life is good, but its at the cost of so many others and so much of nature. Even as I type this, the resource used for the energy to run my machine is natural gas. Even as I think these words, my income comes from the State who has given me a job because of the opression and inequalities of the State and country.

In the end, I will go on. I continue to look forward to my bed for sleep, my kitchen to cook, my evenings for friends...two years from now, and the sunrise simply because it IS greater then/than myself. But, I wish...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home